Tuesday 9 August 2016

You have mail, power usage 2

Still no luck, batteries died over the weekend.

One of my thoughts was that if something goes wrong, for example we don't get wifi connection, then the device just sits there sucking power. So i added a timer just after we wake up that waits for 10 seconds and then goes to sleep, 10 seconds should be plenty time to get a connection and send data.

Also added was error handling to wifi and mqtt connections, if we don't get a connection we go to sleep and try again.

I also added a feature that we only send messages when state changes, and we only wake up the modem when we need to send something. For this I needed a new firmware that has rtcmem module. But the master had changed SDK version and I couldn't get the new firmware to work. I tried erasing (http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/en/flash/#upgrading-firmware) flash but still couldn't get it to work. I had to get the excellent Nodemcu-build docker image and use it to build a previous version. Which worked fine. I tried using the lowest power option in deep sleep, but there seems to be some problem with it, and I couldn't get it to work https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/issues/1225.

On thing that also was on my mind was the really small antenna that came with the Esp-201 modules. Most likely a better antenna would give less trouble. I had some old adsl-modems laying around that had built in wifi with external antennas. I salvaged an antenna from one of them, and now I get better reception.


No comments:

Post a Comment